Senior Director, Executive Communications & Operations
This job is posted in both Dallas and Austin. We ask all interested candidates to please click on the link just below this statement and submit your application through the Austin posting.
What's your motivation? Opportunity. Creativity. Contribution. It's all part of working for the American Heart Association---where you can contribute professional growth with personal fulfillment through a mission - to build healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke. If you're considering a rewarding career, consider the American Heart Association.
The SouthWest Affiliate of the American Heart Association has an opportunity for a Senior Director, Executive Communications & Operations. This role is integral to maximizing the impact of the Executive Vice President (EVP) across all areas of affiliate operations by providing communications expertise on internal and external communications, by ensuring efficient and effective preparation for SWA meetings, and by leading EVP strategic initiatives and projects involving AHA staff and volunteers. The successful incumbent will demonstrate a working knowledge and experience in internal and external communications including writing speeches, social media presence, talking points, and other reports and correspondence for executive level staff, senior staff, and volunteer leadership. Further, the successful incumbent will be adept at working within AHA guidelines and policies to apply logic and reason to analyze information and identify solutions to oftentimes ambiguous situations that require EVP attention.
- Executive Communications: Writes EVP speeches, presentations, talking points, letters, newsletters, and reports, etc., for internal and external audiences. Identifies and implements new communication technologies to enhance engagement with AHA staff and volunteers. Maintains the EVP blog (Message from Midge) and coordinates, edits, and posts EVP video messages. Works in conjunction with Digital and Mission Communications to develop content and media to share on behalf of the EVP on the SWA SharePoint site, and other communication vehicles. Prepares correspondence from EVP and officers in response to letters and requests, and proactively when requested. Manages the EVP portfolio of high-level donors for stewardship by the EVP.
- Strategic Initiatives and Special Projects: Conducts research and collaborates with staff as appropriate to successfully complete projects and strategic initiatives. Provides assistance to the SWA leadership and management functions on an as needed basis. Supports the EVP Performance Standards processes.
- EVP Office Priorities: Oversee EVP office function and assure sound management. Manage EVP projects and direct EVP communications and positioning. Manage high-level volunteer and staff leadership meetings, such as: Senior Leadership Team, Senior Development Team, Affiliate Board, and Nominating and Volunteer Leadership Committee. Serves as chief of staff to coordinate interrelated functions such as Volunteer Engagement, Stewardship, Mission Communications, and EVP calendar, and leads bi-weekly meetings with staff in these roles.
- Meeting Organization: Organizes meetings of SWA senior staff and volunteer teams, including the Senior Leadership Team, Senior Development Team, Affiliate Board, and Nominating and Volunteer Leadership Committee. Together with the EVP, develops and writes agendas, minutes, materials, calls to action, and other written communications. Works independently to develop materials, reports and evaluation documents for senior teams, as well as volunteer committees and boards. Coordinates with Executive Assistant to the EVP, who handles logistics and calendar.
- Skill in effective written and oral communications with superior attention to detail and nuance.
- Skill using Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and online information management through SharePoint.
- Skill in managing multiple priorities and interacting with all levels of AHA staff.
- Skill in reviewing large amounts of information and making effective decisions.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Business, or a related field and at least five years of relevant experience. Master's degree preferred. Candidate should have at least 3 years experience working with and supporting executive level staff.
- Knowledge of the principles of meeting planning and project management.
- Ability to manage projects, processes, and staff.
- Ability to work independently with minimal support or input on decisions.
- Ability to understand overarching strategic direction.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed for project deadlines.
- Must have at least intermediate knowledge and skill with Microsoft Office 2007 used for word processing, email, presentations, and spreadsheets. Advanced knowledge and skill with these programs is preferred. These skills are subject to testing.
- Must have the ability to lift at least 20 lbs from the ground to waist level with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
Attracting talented, committed employees means offering a competitive benefits package, ongoing professional development and training, and a diverse and inclusive environment in which to work and grow. And we do. Visit and click 'benefits' for more information. Specific benefits include: * Medical * Dental * Vision * Retirement plan with generous employer contributions * Twelve paid holidays * Paid time off * Flexible spending accounts * Life insurance plan * Start! Fit-Friendly environment.
The American Heart Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/V/D. The AHA is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in its volunteers, staff and programs.
Dallas, Texas, United States